Is LPG Toxic or Poisonous?

Is LPG Toxic or Poisonous?

LPG is a colourless, odourless, non-toxic gas and is also referred to as natural gas liquids – NGL. It is flammable, so it needs to be treated with respect. However, overall LPG has an excellent safety record.

In its natural state, LPG is an odourless gas. The distinctive smell that people associate with LPG is actually added to it as a safety measure. Repeated exposure is hazardous because some people will become insensitive to the odour of the gas as a result of LPG gas leak effects. Without the addition of an odorant, leaking gas could collect without being detected.

LPG is considered non-toxic so LPG gas leak effects are not an issue of toxicity. Contact with the skin is non-irritating unless it is evaporating liquid. LPG gas leak effects of skin contact with evaporating liquid can cause cold burns or frostbite, as it evaporates at -42°C. It is not classified as causing skin or respiratory sensitisation.

Repeated exposure does not have any effect on organs. LPG is not irritating to the eyes unless, once again, it is in its very cold evaporative state.

It is important to remember that LPG is an asphyxiant gas. This does NOT mean that LPG is a poisonous gas so LPG gas leak effects are an issue only in an enclosed area with a high concentration of the gas.